A brief history of Redland Green Club
The earliest records of the site exist as Ordinance Survey records. The 1898-1939 3rd edition shows 9 grass courts and a small pavilion. The 1947-1965 Ordinance Survey National Grid version shows that the club had grown to 17 grass courts.
Bristol Lawn Tennis Club was formed in 1912. The original pavilion was replaced by the current clubhouse in about 1975. At the same time part of the original site was sold for flats with the loss of 5 grass courts.
Bristol Lawn Tennis Club hosted major tournaments such as the Davis Cup in the late 1970s and late 1980s, the Bristol Trophy in 1988 and 1989 (last year of the Bristol Trophy) and the West of England Tournament in 2003.
John Lloyd playing in the Davis Cup 1978
(GB v Austria)
Winner of the Bristol Trophy 1988 (singles) – Christian Saceanu
Programme for the Bristol Trophy 1989
Winner of the Bristol Trophy 1988 (doubles) – Peter Doohan and Laurie Warder
Champion of the 2003 West of England Tournament – Massimo Dell’Acqua
Doubles match during the West of England Tournament 2003
Bristol Lawn Tennis Club also had the honour of having great players like Ivan Lendl and Ilie Nastase practising on the grass courts prior to Wimbledon and other grass tournaments.
Ivan Lendl practising at the Club before Wimbledon (date unknown)
Ilie Nastase playing at the Club in 1980
In 1993, Bristol Lawn Tennis Club purchased all the tennis courts (playing land). The tennis courts were put into a bare trust which held it for the benefit of the members until 2022 when the bare trust was dissolved and the tennis courts were transferred under the direct ownership of the Club.
Bristol Lawn Tennis Club existed separate to the clubhouse and squash facilities for many years. It was not until 1997 when the Bristol Lawn Tennis Club purchased the clubhouse and carpark from Bristol Stadium Group and the Tennis and Squash Clubs became one entity under Bristol Lawn Tennis & Squash Club.
In 2006, the Club received a £235,000 non-repayable Lawn Tennis Association (LTA) grant supplemented by £40,000 members fundraising to resurface all the hard tennis courts and for the flood lighting on courts 7 and 8. The work was completed in 2007. Additionally, a non-repayable loan of circa £20,000 was secured from the LTA in subsequent years to fund the costs of legal restructuring to make it a company limited by guarantee.
In 2012, the Club incorporated as Redland Green Limited and is run by a Board of voluntary Directors. Redland Green Limited trades as Redland Green Club and runs the trading side of the Tennis and Squash Club and is a members’ owned club.
The Club is a Community Amateur Sports Club (CASC) which means it is open to the whole community.
In April 2023 two new Padel tennis courts were constructed, being the first of a series of capital investments planned as part of a major development project at the Club, which includes the possibility of two new clay courts, three covered tennis courts and a long awaited refurbishment of the clubhouse. All of these would give the Club a more modern feel and allow it to offer a better selection of rackets facilities. The development is subject to planning permission being granted.